It was an overwhelming, yet informative and enriching first day of class. I am grateful for both Dr. Dunn and my classmates, as we will learn so much from each other this week. There were certainly several 'nuggets' of useful information that I gained from today's session.
First, I gained a better understanding of the other topics for the literature review projects. At first, I was not familiar with the term analytics as it was stated, but after discussion I understood what it was. My school has been using several electronic tools to track student progress and make important instructional decisions. As an instructional coach and chair of Multiple Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) I have worked with several tools, such as AIMSWEB, Measures of Academic Progress (MAP), and TestingWerks, which is a user-friendly database for all assessments. I have used these sources to make decisions to improve tier II and tier III instruction for struggling math students. Data and technology is valuable when both are used to improve the educational experience for the child. Additionally I would like to know more about augmented reality because I haven't a clue. I look forward to that presentation.
A classmate mentioned the use of data and lack of sharing and professional development in her school. It is critical for educational leaders to be transparent with student data and work to support teachers and in turn support students. Any sports car is only as good as its driver. The same goes with technology in the educational setting. Both student and teacher users must be competent with the tools. As I find that there are large research gaps in the use of technology in schools I also know that there are gaps in the amount of training that teachers receive in the use of technology. Proper training must accompany new devices and initiatives.
Finally, I really appreciate the readiness for EDUC 919 and the dissertation process I was afforded today. Dr. Dunn helped me better understand how to organize a literature review and critically analyze a journal article. This is something I have not been too comfortable with. This understanding comes at a great time, as I take 919 next week.
Overall, it was a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment