Saturday, May 24, 2014

My thoughts on technology in the classroom

I would like to first introduce myself. My name is Ronald Fausnaugh and I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. I am a math intervention teacher at New Albany Elementary School, which is located in a very affluent Columbus suburb. As an educator, I have been very blessed to work in a district with ample resources to provide our students with a quality education. My school district has spared very little when it comes to purchasing new technology for staff and students. In my twelve years as an educator I have been able to work with various technological tools such as personal computers, SMART boards, iPads, Samsung Galaxy tablets, Chrome books, and a variety of other devices. In addition to the devices provided by the school, students are encouraged to BYLT (bring your learning tool) to school for daily use. The availability of a variety of media has enhanced student engagement.

My opinion on technology in the classroom is that it should be an extension of a teachers' classroom pedagogy. Using a variety of sources, an effective classroom teacher plans for the use of technology to enrich the educational experience for each child. This enrichment can take a variety of forms, such as using an interactive lesson on the SMART board to engage students in a reading comprehension activity or having small groups of students manipulate base-ten blocks on an iPad to reinforce place value. It is necessary for all educators to remain educated in the current technological trends and available resources to enhance student learning. Personally, I look forward to learning alongside my colleagues in this course!

No comments:

Post a Comment